The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, September 11, 2009

One

Posted by Seeking Solace |

One love, one blood
One life, you got to do what you should
One life, with each other
Sisters, brothers

One life but we're not the same
We get to carry each other, carry each other
One

One by U2

In the years since the 9/11 attacks, I have noticed something about us. And by us I mean the American people. Our country is angry.

We have every reason to be frustrated right now. Life is difficult right now. You would have to be living under a rock not to notice. But what I mean that the country is angry, I mean we are angry with each other. There is a lack of civility to our fellow human. People fail to treat each other with dignity and respect. There is a viciousness, an ugliness that is like nothing I have seen in my lifetime.

Sure, there are the usual suspects; those who make it their business to stir the pot with anger and viciousness. One can usually take what those people say with a grain of salt. But, this has gone beyond the usual extreme pundits or those in power. It seems that it has become wide-spread, equal opportunity. It is the Left and the Right, Republicans and Democrats. It transcends race, gender and socio-economic status.

It seems like healthy debate and civilized conversation had been been replaced with bickering, name calling and deep analysis of every single word or sentence, in the hope of finding something offensive. Instead of seeing things for what they are, we find ulterior motives. People speak with offense and listen with defense. There is no consideration for different views. No weighing carefully all possibilities. I could point to several examples over the past weeks and years. But, I think that would just fuel the fire, although it would illustrate my point.

I wonder if it is possible for all of us to come together and seeking solutions and find common ground. Now, I am not suggesting we all hold hand and sing Kumbaya. What I am suggesting is that there has to be a balance. There needs to be respect. We all bring something to the table. What if for a brief moment, we actually came together, put down our weapons and be open to all possibilities. What if, we stood together as one?

We did that once before...eight years ago. Eight years ago, it didn't matter what side of the political fence you sat. It didn't matter what race or gender you were. It didn't matter how much money you had. For one moment in time, we were one country. One voice.

One.

It's time.

5 comments:

Brigindo said...

I agree with your observation. Personally I think we started down this path way before 9/11. I think 9/11...as horrible as it was...could have served a useful purpose in helping us back onto a more giving and forgiving stance with each other. For awhile I really thought that was going to happen. But I do agree that it has gotten far worse since then and I'm not sure what it is going to take...I'm hoping not something equally as horrible...to get us back on the right track. Unfortunately I think our current economic situation is more likely to make things worse than better.

Seeking Solace said...

I agree. I don't want another 9/11 to unite us.

RageyOne said...

I'm totally with you. Something has got to give.

rented life said...

Perfect song, as so much of it fits. My little CC class talked about that today, how we treat each other, changes they've noticed (which is interesting in a class of mixed ages) and I share my experience of being in a Muslim country last year. I'm hoping I got them thinking about something they can take with them. Someone else said "it's so sad that so many people died to unite us...now what?"
Good post SS.

MissDazey said...

I think it is so sad how much our country has changed the last few years. I never ever thought I'd see Americans acting so hateful. Maybe we all can start over with small acts of kindness to one another. I'll start by declaring you my friend, and all your readers as friends. Friends treat one another with kindness.

MissDazey

Subscribe