The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Entering the Final Round

Posted by Seeking Solace |

The interview went very well. They were impressed with my teaching philosphy statement. And, they liked the fact that I had some academic advising experience (I worked as an academic advisor for the undergraduate division while I was in law school).

I was told immediately that they wanted me to come back to do a demo lecture. The dean is going to send me a list of courses, topics and syllabus. I get to choose what to present. Then, I do my thing, only to a group of administrators. I will have a day or two to prepare.

I think this is going to be a good match. The Dean is very nice and easy going. The paralegal division is small, which means small classes. I like that because it would give me the chance to do more hands on activities that just can't be done in a large class of students. We seem to be on the same page with respect to teaching policy and expectations of students.

I got the impression that they are looking for someone who is dynamic and can keep the students interested. I explained that I am quite animated when I teach, usually moving around the room, engaging students with crazy hypothetical and examples. I guess the current person is just too boring that the students are complaining.

I am so psyched to do my demo. I can't wait to see what it is. I hope I get to teach negligence so I can throw a book across the room as a way to show what a reasonable person would not do!

6 comments:

MissDazey said...

It does sound like the idea situation for you. Thanks for sharing. They seem to know what they need. Is this demo a normal thing on the college level?

Brigindo said...

I'm so excited! Can't wait to hear about the demo

Seeking Solace said...

MissDazey: Yes. I think more college and universities want to see a person in action. One can look good on paper...

rented life said...

You are certainly not boring with your teaching examples!

jo(e) said...

This all sounds great!

post-doc said...

So happy for you! And continuing to wish you much luck.

Subscribe