The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Heart Of The Matter

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I had a good talk with Husband over Indian food for lunch. We had a coupon for a BOGO! Anyway, I expressed my frustration over my CT class. He did a great job of listening and not trying to solve the problem for me. He helped me realize that I need to let the project continue as-is. If I give in to the whining, it only teaches them that if you whine enough, you will get what you want. Also, I have to remember the bigger picture. These students have to realize there is some level of group work in the work world, whether it be a formal project or each person presenting their findings to someone else who needs them. You can't just go it alone because you don't like the people you work with. At some point, these students have to learn how to work with others.

I guess the truth is that I am allowing myself to get caught up in the chaos. Never a good thing.

I am going to take the day off from work related stuff. I just returned from a walk with the Boy. I feel a nap coming on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I required a group project in an online class and it has been brutal. I started off with 20 students, I am now down to 12. 2 groups (out of 5) fragmented with 2solo projects (one was OK, one was complete crap). I refused to get caught up in the chaos and refused to eliminate it. Not sure if I'll do it again in the future. It has been a real pain. But I agree, I do think they need to learn these skills in the "real world." You have a real drama queen on your hands in that class :)

Brigindo said...

Yay for Husband.

Craig Bardo said...

A little naan, tikka masala and saag goes down well with husbands, wives and makes whining students a little less vexatious.

Subscribe