The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Walk On...Leave It Behind

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I made a huge decision. I decided to resign from my job, effective at the end of this semester.

Yep.

The other decision is that Husband and I have a full plan to relocate to a warmer climate, most likely the Southeast, by late Spring of 2009. (If you really want to know where, you can send me an email at seekingsolace.blog@gmail.com. But, once I tell you the places we are considering, I will have to kill you. )

So many things have happened over the last few weeks that made the first decision necessary. One, of course, is the uncertainty of my position. With the fallout from the meeting from Hell last summer, the stress of the unknown has made things rather uncomfortable. With the exception of Awesome Office Mate, I have no one that I can confide in or trust. That stress is definitely one of the reasons that my RA is so out of whack. And with my RA out of whack, I can't teach or be as effective as I want to be.

It's one of those circular things, I guess.

I just can't take the pain, be it physical or emotional. I can't take being in a place where I don't feel valued or respected. And I would rather leave on my own terms, with my dignity in tact, than to be blindsided in the hope that I would be able to continue. Even if I were promised a great teaching schedule, I would still say no. I have to get my health back on track. The environment where I work is just too toxic.

That leads to the second decision. I can no longer take the climate in Lake Effect Snow Central. When I got up this morning, it was 39 degrees. Not good. It will only be a matter of time before that is the high temperature for the day. I need a warmer, more consistent climate.

The other part of the decision is that after the big job massacre at Husband's company, there is a good chance that the division will be gone by next summer. Might as well start fresh in a new place. Husband's job is the type that transfers well. He is very marketable.

On the plus side, our frugal ways means that we should not have too much trouble with the relocation. Our only debt is our house, which is almost paid off anyway. We are stock-piling money like crazy. We have a timetable and plan to get everything ready. And the best part of all, we have great friends to help and support from each other.

So, I am happy and relieved. I want to get my health back to my remission status. I want to find a job where I can teach in an environment that is supportive. I want a place where Husband and I (and the Boy) can finally relax and grow old together.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

21 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Excellent choice! It can't be easy, but it sounds to me like an amazing adventure.

I'm so glad your finaincial smarts allow you to make a choice that is good for you.

Weezy said...

Girl, I'm so happy for you. Bummed that this means we probably won't get to meet up in cape may...but hey...I'll just have to get to the southwest now :)

Anonymous said...

k, I just emailed you.

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone!

Weezy: No it will probably be the south east. Which means we will probably still go to Cape May!

Karen said...

I'm ALL for hightailing it out of toxic environments! Hurrah for new adventures!

Anonymous said...

It is toxic and it does suck and I'd be leaving with you if I could afford it, but we'd lose money on our house, living in the poorer area of town.

Not to say that I'm not still looking to leave, in some way. You made the right choice I think. -Office mate

K said...

Wow! I think these are great and courageous decisions. Please keep all of us readers posted--I am always learning from and enjoy your blog.

K

JMKH said...

Big cheers for you. It sounds like you've made a very sensible decision for yourself and your husband. And Boy.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that things didn't work out better for you there. Of course, with your RA, warmer weather would definitely be better for you. So, in the end, the problems at the college may be a blessing in disguise to encourage you to move somewhere warmer.

BrightStar (B*) said...

Congratulations on making such a big decision!

Brigindo said...

I left a toxic environment for the southeast two years ago and still feel blessed.


I think its great that you made the decision and best of luck to find the situation of your dreams.

Arbitrista said...

Wow that's big news. Good luck.

RageyOne said...

Good for you! Wow! 39 degrees in October, oh dear, you definitely need to get out of there for your health. Resigning from the job is a positive move as well for your mental well-being - no need in being somewhere that gives you so much grief. Can't wait to hear about your plans and preparation for the move.

Albatross said...

Congrats on the decision! It sounds like things are already looking up.

Prisca said...

Sounds like sound decision making all around. I will miss your LEC onsite updates, but I know you need to be where your health is good ALL the time. We'll be anxious to see where you land. :)

dr four eyes said...

Congratulations on leaving toxicity! I highly recommend it. I'm glad for you, your husband, and the Boy!

Abbey said...

As someone from the southest who spent most of the morning sitting out in the sun...I can't even begin to consider 39 degrees in October (or ever). Congrats on making the decision - I'm sure it's a huge but I agree that doing on your own terms is the best way to go.

comebacknikki said...

Wow, congrats on your decision!

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you! Although I would be more excited if I thought there was chance that you'd be moving near me (it's still too cold here!) Good luck with all the planning!

AliceAcademic said...

Congrats on the decision to leave it behind! It sounds like exciting things are up ahead for you.

Weezy said...

okay...that just means I can't read <= dumbass :)

Subscribe