The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summer Reading List

Posted by Seeking Solace |

What I have been reading lately:

Puppy Chow Is Better Than Prozac is just one wonderful story. If you have dealt with mental illness in any capacity, raised a puppy or both, this story is for you. Bruce Goldstein shows you have one puppy saved his life. It's amazing how animals can heal.

Crazies to the Left of Me, Wimps to the Right: How One Side Lost Its Mind and the Other Lost Its Nerve. Bernard Goldberg takes on Democrats and Republicans by showing how the extreme Left and Right have ruined both of them. That's what I like about this book, an equal opportunity bitch slap. He's had it with both sides and frankly, so have I. (OK Arbitrista, let me have it!)

Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. I was excited to read his becuase of the topic of the death penalty. But, what this book did for me was question the meaning of faith and religion. I had some problems with some of the characters and the relationships. But whether or not a death row inmate should be allowed to donate organs is a very interesting topic. Maybe something for my CT class???

Girls Like Us Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon--And the Journey of a Generation by Sheila Weller. I am still reading this one. I am such a huge fan of all three women. Absolutely amazing how these women not only broke the glass ceiling, the busted through it, without losing any of the femininity. Kind of a long read, but totally worth it.

For my beach vacation I got Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Me by Pattie Boyd since I had that crazy dream. I also got Moscow Rules by Daniel Silva.

What are you reading or have read this summer?

5 comments:

DancingFish said...

I've only read a brand new textbook about my dissertation topic but am currently enjoying High Tide in Tuscon by Barbara Kingsolver. I am hoping to read Middlesex next. Nothing current except work related stuff- tells you how much pleasure reading I usually get to do!

gwoertendyke said...

you're it!

comebacknikki said...

I'm currently reading Never Change (Elizabeth Berg)... sad, sad, sad!

You should come over and join us on goodreads!

Anonymous said...

Melymbrosia by Virgina Woolf. It's sort of the first draft of "The Voyage Out". :)

Psych Post Doc said...

This inspired me to write a post on this too. And I've read Change of Heart too, I too thought it was an interesting read but had some problems with some of the characters and relationships.

http://psychpostdoc.blogspot.com/2008/08/summer-reading.html

Subscribe