The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Using Your Outside Voice

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Today started as a quiet day until about noon when the little girl across the street began screaming. The little girl is about five or six. But, she scream and yells most of the day. OK, I understand that kids yell and scream when they play. I am not saying that kids should not make noise when playing, I am so glad to actually see kids out playing outside . But, this child screams over everything. If she wants the little girl next door to come over to play, she screams for her. When her daddy leaves, she screams. When she is riding her bike, she screams. It's like her outside voice is on full blast. What makes matters worse is that her mom does the same thing. Basically, that is how they communicate with each other when they are outside. They scream.

It was so loud that I could not enjoy a nap. Even the Boy was a little frustrated. How dare someone interfere with Mom and Boy nap time? Even as I sat on my patio reading a book, I used ear plugs to drown out the noise.

No, I have not said anything to the mom. Even if I do it in the most kind and respectful way (which is my usual format), I just know that I would come off as the mean child-less woman. Seriously, those of you with kids, wouldn't you be a little miffed if someone came over and asked if your kid not scream so much? I just do not want to go there.

J and I have suspected that there be more going on at that house. The mom has exhibited questionable discipline with the girl. There have been a few times when both of us have debated making a phone call. But, it's not always a clear cut situation.

In the meantime, I guess I will be vigilant and keep ear plugs handy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in a similar situation, so I feel your pain. AProf's backyard neighbor has two boys who get locked outside by mom every weekend. The older one picks on the younger one until he starts crying and screaming and pounding on the back door for someone to let him in. I have often heard the mother screaming obscenities at the children who I estimate are around 5 and 8. And on top of all the screaming ruckus, their dog barks constantly when it is outside. Now don't get me wrong, I love dogs, I just have a problem when the owners allow them to bark for hours at a time.

I really hate that I can't enjoy sitting outside on the swing without being subjected to the noise. And I too have wondered if I should make a call.

k8 said...

Keep in mind that this is coming from the daughter of a social worker: If you even vaguely suspect anything, call! It might be nothing. If that's the case, great - no harm done. Many states allow anonymous calls about these matters. And, in my home state, EVERYONE is a court-mandated informer, not just teachers and doctors like in some states. While it has never happened, I would seriously love to see someone prosecuted for not reporting clear-cut cases of child abuse.

Of course, if there is no evidence, it is a different story. But, if what you see/hear is emotional or psychological abuse, it is just as serious as physical abuse and should be reported.

Sorry about the rant. Clearly it is an issue for me. Of course, if they are just noisy, you could see if they are violating and noise ordinances. Do you know if other neighbors are disturbed by them? Neighbors with kids?

Seeking Solace said...

I am glad to see that I am not the only one!

K8: No offense taken, When I wwas a family court law gaurdian, I was a mandatory reproter, so I totally get it.

I guess my concern is that there is no concrete evidence, it's just a gut feeling that something is not right.

Prisca said...

I'm so sorry you have to hear that. I know what you mean though, about something being right. There is a difference between normal 'kid noise' and someone constantly screaming. That's a real bind for you. I can't imagine how you could successfully speak to them without coming across as the evil neighbor. Very worrisome. Keep us posted.

Has the heat mellowed yet?

k8 said...

I know, the lack of evidence is tricky. And, it would be my luck to report something vague like that and then find out that the kid is hearing-impaired and doesn't realize how his/her volume affects others. Unlikely, but it's hard if something is going on or if the people are just loud.

Subscribe