The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, April 21, 2008

Highway Robbery

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I am considering changing textbooks for my Business Law course. Although I love the current text, it costs almost $200.00!

(In my best Chris Rock voice) $200.00?! Good Lord, that's a lot of money!

I could sort of understand if these students were in law school. I kept many of my books from law school and have used them as a reference. But, my students are undergrads and this is the only course where this book is used. Other than that, the book makes a nice paperweight. There is a PDF version, but who wants to read a textbook on the computer? And just think how long it would take to print pages if you wanted to have a physical version of the PDF!

Office mate suggest that I create my own packet. I suppose I could do that, but given the amount of information for the course, it would be a rather daunting task. But, I am open to the option. Since I have taught this course for almost five years, I could probably write my own textbook. I have also sent an email to the chair to see if I can search for another book.

Hmm. Something to think about.

But seriously, WTF?

2 comments:

JMKH said...

You'd probably have to do alot of copyright searching, too, if your packet is made up of other people's work. 200 for a book, though. Zounds!

Anonymous said...

I commend you for looking for another text solution. Too many professors don't think about how much their course book(s) cost.

Subscribe