The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, October 15, 2007

The Right Hand Does Not Know What The Left Hand Is Doing

Posted by Seeking Solace |

One of my biggest issues with my department is that many of the faculty, adjuncts mostly, are confused about assessments the chair wishes for us to collect as part of a re-vamping of the Critical Thinking course. I just had a conversation with one of my colleauges and she had no clue about an assessment which faculty need to administer at midterm. I copied my documents for her, which she gladly accepted and thanked me for the heads up.

Over the summer, the chair meet with faculty to discuss the proposed additions to the Critical Thinking curriculum. I attended these session and provided my input. We were scheduled to meet again before the beginning of the semester when the chair abruptly cancelled the meeting. In addition, my understanding was that the proposed changes were tabled until the next semester. Well, that did not happen, and a few of us were caught with our pants down when the Chair wanted essay summaries by the fifth week of class!

In my chair's defense, and boy does he need one, he is juggling two positions at the moment. So, I can understand why things are a little scattered. But, when so many faculty, especially adjuncts are not on the same page, it can only lead to disaster. And the Homer Simpson-esque phase of "But it's my first day" just doesnt cut it if you have to explain why you didn't submit the work.

If the goal is consistency, shouldn't it start with all faculty having a clear understand of what the consistency is supposed to entail?

5 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

As I've learned recently, often those who are supposed to communicate can't do so effectively. I'm not sure why this is, perhaps because they really don't care enough about what is going on to make the effort -- or, maybe they don't know what they want and thus can't ask for it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but consistency? Communication? Effective? In higher ed? HAHAHAHA

Anonymous said...

btw, I bet the left hand doesn't even know what it's doing.

Seeking Solace said...

Righteos Babe: Or he has to get permission from Mr. Smithers!

Anonymous said...

sooo frustrating. some people become chair not b/c they know they will be good and committed, etc, but becasue it looks good/for the ego.

Subscribe