The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Letter

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Once again, thanks for all of you who commented on my quiet class, especially Righteous Babe, who is my voice of reason! I took her advice and drafted an essay assignment that addresses the issues that plague the class. I did it in the form of a letter to the students. I did not accuse or lay any blame. I just stated what my goals were for the course and how although the written goals are going well, the oral discourse was lacking. I told them what I had hoped for the class, that it be a place were there was a free exchange of ideas with the goal of gaining a new perspective on how to think. I then asked them to put themselves in my position and come up with ways for me to achieve my goals. Kinda like if they were the teacher, what would they do? I also asked them what learning style works best for them and why.

Hopefully, we (me and the students) will gain some insight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your welcome! When I did it, it didn't solve everything, but at least I learned I had a lot of writers in my class. When I did more writing work--it was great. They had a lot of interesting things to say. I'd still talk some--bringing up current events. Shocking/interesting ones got a few to participate.

good luck

sheepish said...

Good luck with this approach!

I've followed your saga, but I've not really said anything because I haven't the slightest clue how to facilitate good discussions beyond the few basic things that crashed and burned for you in the first couple of weeks.

Prisca said...

Sounds like a great plan to me. I'll be anxious to hear what comes of it.

Mad Hatter said...

Wow, you've really worked hard to get this class to participate in discussions. I hope this works for you--good luck!

Subscribe