The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Fatherly Advice

Posted by Seeking Solace |

On this Father's Day, I am reminded of all the advice my father gave me. He had a saying to help one navigate life's many obstacles. Even though my father passed away 19 years ago, I still fall back on his words of wisdom.

So, on this Father's Day, I thought I would share with you some of his advice that has helped shape me into the person I am today. You may have heard some of these saying or variations of them. But, I think you will get a kick out of my dad's way of making sense out of life.

  • Don't write a check with you mouth that your ass can't cash.

Translation: Don't say anything unless you have the ability to back it up.

  • Don't get into a pissing contest with an asshole.

Translation: You will never win a battle with someone who is an asshole.

  • Cream always rises to the top.

Translation: Don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't achieve greatness because of who you are.

  • The only people you can trust are your parents and your priest.

Translation: Your parents will always have your back. Your priest will never tell your secrets.

  • Don't take no shit from nobody.

Translation: Although it's a triple negative, it's speaks for itself

  • Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

Translation: Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

  • Don't mess with old people because old people can hurt you.

Translation: Old people have been there, done that and can still kick your ass!

Thanks Dad! Happy Father's Day!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some good advice up there, my friend.
My father always used to say in times of strife, "It's all part of growing up and being British."

RageyOne said...

Those are great! Thanks for sharing and I'm familiar with a few of them.

rented life said...

"Consider it a learning experience" was said to me in regards to every negative situation.

Bellona said...

I love the advice your dad gave you. Glad you've some translations at the same time. hehe

Anonymous said...

you're dad's advice is awesome!!

Subscribe