The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I Almost Forgot

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I am supposed to be looking for a job. I have been so caught up in the whole LL.M. thing that I kinda let that slide. So, I did send out a CV for a position out of state. (Sorry, GML!) I should probably start cold contacting colleges in Lake Effect Snow Central. So far, none have posted any position that fits my skill set (Egad, did I just use one of those annoying job hunting buzz-words). But, I guess it couldn't hurt to submit a feeler, right?

What do you think of cold contacting potential employers? Is it really worth the waste of paper? Have any of you gotten a positive response? Discuss and comment. Right now, I am going to take the Boy for a walk.

7 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

I got my first teaching job by cold contacting a school district. It's worth a shot.

Alice said...

Agree with B* -- do it!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I got several adjunct offers by sending out cold-letters...

I had a very basic cover letter and short CV. It was no more than three pages of material -- enough that they'll probably look at it and enough to warrant interest in giving me stray classes.

betty said...

i got the job i have now by cold-contacting an old colleague (my undergraduate thesis advisor, actually). i got another potential lead from contacting another colleague here as well, but old advisor acted fast!

i say go for it - i don't see how it could hurt.

Anonymous said...

Basically just seconding (well fifth-ing, technically) the other commenters. Go for it! If you see a job/company you think you could see yourself at, why not give it a go?

Good luck! Hope you had a fun walk with The Boy!

Anonymous said...

I got two part time jobs by cold contacting. For one, I simply had a unique background that other applicants didn't have. And, another one I got the job because the program director had heard a presentation that I had given at a conference a couple of years earlier. So, you never know.

comebacknikki said...

I definitely think it's worth a shot. As others have mentioned, I also got several adjunct offers by sending out cold-letters. I also got an interview for a full-time administration position (which I was later offered).

Subscribe