The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Vacation, Have To Get Away!

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Husband found out that he is getting an end of year bonus. When his division of Big Computer Company was sold to Smaller Company, one of the things that he lost were the huge mid year and end of year bonuses that funded such wonderful vacations like Hawaii and Aruba. We have always saved for our vacations, mostly because we want to avoid getting into debt. So when these bonuses came around, it was, well, a bonus. So we while we were sad to see the bonuses go, it was not the worst thing in world.

But, now it looks like we are getting a bonus. Plus, we are getting a tax refund, something we NEVER get. So vacation here we come!!!

So, now the dilemma. Where to go???? We are thinking of going in March or April. I went through this last year, and you all out there in blog land were very helpful in your suggestions. So I am asking for your suggestions again. Here are some of the criteria that Husband and I must have:

  • We love the beach!
  • Warm weather, at least 80+ degrees.
  • I like the idea of the all-inclusive. It is a little more expensive, but you don't have to worry about paying for anything. This is not a deal breaker, but would be nice.
  • I don't like people bothering me or trying to sell me something while I am on the beach.
  • We are not into touring too much. We just like to slug on the beach.

OK, inspire me!!!!!

9 comments:

Wol said...

My brother and his wife went to Sandals in Jamaica, which was all-inclusive. They didin't get hassled at all--it was a private beach--and had a great time.

Wherever you go, have a great time!

Anonymous said...

At that time of year, you have to be careful and make sure you don't choose Spring Break beaches. I think a posh place down in the Caribbean protects you from that though.

Weezy said...

Amen to what sheepish said. Avoid the cruises--cause you won't get enough beach time.

i just got a bunch of emails with deals today-I'll forward you a few!

Weezy said...

Okay---so you don't have an email listed....send me one at profweezy@hotmail.com and I'll ship them to ya!

Anonymous said...

This is so my kind of vacation. I look forward to reading the suggestions!

Michelle

StyleyGeek said...

Best beach holiday I ever had was in the Cook Islands (Rarotonga). There are just no tourists at all. The resorts are lovely, but equally you can pay $10 a night and stay in beachfront huts withou resort-style packages.

The weather is around 80 F every day, and cools down at night, when it usually rains (no rain during the day). The water is as warm as a bath and there are tiny tropical fish swimming even in the shallows.

You can pick coconuts, papaya and mangos off trees by the roadside or buy them for around 20c. They still have a tribal society thing where nothing (fruit trees, chickens, land) belongs to any individuals so you are allowed to just help yourself. That chicken sitting by the road? Put it in a pot and stew it :)

And everyone is super friendly (although you won't meet anyone if you don't want to: we often had the entire beach to ourselves).

It's probably too far for you to travel, I guess, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Anonymous said...

Come see me (I don't know why no one thought of this..,hmmm, not of me but themselves.. :) LoL

I have a beach! OHHH, that 80 degree thingy might be a problem. Ahh, well. ;-)

I know there was a cool place I heard of that was a village (on an island) that a whole family ran. Shoot! That doesn't help you either. If I think of it, I'll pass it on.

Weezy said...

Check your email. I'm voting for MAJESTIC COLONIAL PUNTA CANA-- Dominican Republic!

Prisca said...

I'm voting for the resorts in Phuket, Thailand. I stayed at a 5star place there in the early 90's and it was actually inexpensive, private, and had miles (seriously) of swiming pools + the beach. You could open your door onto either the beach or a pool. It was heavenly. Of course, this was all pre tsunami. If you have the time for the lengthy flight there Thailand would really be worth it. :)

Just about anyplace with a beach would beat Lake Effect Central! How are you coping?

Subscribe