The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Thrill Is Gone

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I am traveling to Hometown today. My great uncle passed away. He was 87.

My great uncle was like a second dad to me. He came to live with my mom, my brother and I after my dad died. He taught me so much and gave so much.

  • He gave me an appreciation for the Blues and a love of B.B. King. Whenever I hear The Thrill is Gone, I smile.
  • When I was in college, I took a job as a waitress at a local restaurant. I worked the 5 AM to 1 PM shift. He would get up at 4:30 AM to drive me to work five days a week.
  • He told Husband and I stories about serving in Africa in WWII.
  • He helped me move several times.
  • He would always listen to me when I felt like no one understood me.
  • He taught me to enjoy life and it's OK to have a drink everyday.

I could go on, but I think I'm gonna cry.

16 comments:

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

He sounds like a wonderful man. Hugs to you.

Abbey said...

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

So sorry.
Hugs.

RageyOne said...

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Travel safely.

Pink Cupcake said...

He sounds amazing. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm so happy that you had such a wonderful person in your life.

I'll be thinking of you today. Hugs...

Prisca said...

He sounds exceptionally cook, SS. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm thinking of you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, hon. xx
~ Nimue

Karen said...

So sorry for your loss. Big HUGS to you!

~profgrrrrl~ said...

I'm so sorry. It sounds like he really held a wonderful place in your life (as the memories will in your heart).

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. Your uncle sounds like he was a remarkable man.

Anonymous said...

(((seeking solace))) you and your family are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Solace. I'm glad you had him in your life. Take care.

comebacknikki said...

I'm so sorry.
(((seeking solace)))

Alice said...

Hugs, Alice

Seeking Solace said...

Huge thanks everyone for your kind words!!! He was an awesome soul!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Big huggs -- It sounds like he was a wonderful person and one who will be missed!

Subscribe