The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, February 26, 2007

Job Hunting Sucks

Posted by Seeking Solace |

That is an understatement.

It is such a ridiculous dance, no? You send resumes, hoping that someone will take mercy on your soul and grant you an interview. You sit and wait, wondering what is going on as your resume is passed from in-box to in-box. You wonder why no one has called or emailed you, thinking maybe your information was lost in some vortex. You check your mail, hoping you don't receive the dreaded "FU" letter.

You start to question your own ability and value.

What drives me crazy are the letters that state "Thank you for your resume. We will be in touch." I received a letter from one law scholl which stated:

Dear Professor Seeking Solace:

We are in receipt of your resume and cover letter for the position of Clinical Law Professor. We will review your qualifications to determine if you are a match with our search criteria.

Excuse me? Is this a job search or an application for Eharmony? Do they have 29 different dimensions of compatibility?

Would it be so hard for those involved in the process to give some indication of the process? I have to give credit to one University that I applied. In the letter, the search chair explained the time-line for thier search, from resume deadline to the granting of interviews. It was comforting to know that someone understood how stressful and frustrating the job search can be.

I sent a follow up e-mail to Alma Mater Law School regarding a position that is tailor made for me, except for the 10 years of experience in curriculum development. (Sorry, I was too busy practicing law. But, at least I did gain some experience at Former College).

Keep your fingers crossed.

8 comments:

Abbey said...

I haven't job hunted in ages...but I imagine it does suck. Keeping ym fingers crossed for you!

Karen said...

Fingers, toes and legs all crossed for you! Good luck!!!!..job hunting blows.

Alice said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Alice

Prisca said...

I'm thinking of you! I'm anxious to hear about the alumni job. Do you still know anyone around there that could help you?

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Next time I'm on a search committee, I'm going to try to get them to give the general time line to applicants. You are right, it is only the humane thing to do --

Good luck with all of your applicaitons. I'm sure someone will see how good you are!

Anonymous said...

lots of luck for you!!

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone for the support!

Prisca: I don't know if I can contact anyone. It's been 10 years. Plus most of the instructors that I do know are adjunct attorneys.

Anonymous said...

I am totally with you in this. One thing I really hate is having apps out there and having no idea if they have already been rejected (because some places never ever get back to you) or if you are under consideration.

Also, some places require you submit an app through the website - which then causes you to never have any contact (or contact info) with the employer - so you can't contact them to follow-up.

For example, one job for which I applied is perfect for me - but I had to apply via the school's on-line application and could only submit my resume. I have been waiting and waiting, and am unsure if I am being considered or not. If I could have done a cover letter, I could have framed my match to their needs much better. I keep wondering if it would be okay to just send one to the head of the department ...

This stuff drives me NUTS! It's one thing to do it while you are employed and at least have something - but if you are unemployed (like us) I think this becomes even more painful.

shrinkykitten

Subscribe