The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Do The End of Semester Happy Dance

Posted by Seeking Solace |

So I graded my last paper, dealt with all my plagiarism issues, calculated and doubled checked all of my grades and signed off on my grade reports. You would think that I would be doing the "I am done for the semester" happy dance. Right?

Oh, no my dear friends. That would be too easy.

Since tomorrow is still a class day, I still have to show up for work in case a student has a question. That's right, my friends. Even though my grades are turned in and none of my students have anything to submit, I have to show up for work tomorrow and Thursday and sit on my ass on the off chance that a student may have a question. Even though my students know that I do not tell them their grades and my college has a policy that prohibits the posting of grades, I have to go and sit from 8: 30 to 2:30 because a student may have a question or want to discuss something with me. What question could possibly come up remains a mystery and so far, no one has given a satisfactory example.

So, I thought to myself, "OK, I can work on my syllabi for the next semester, right? Wrong again. None of the adjuncts received their schedules for next semester. The administration will not tell us. They will not even give us an idea of what any adjunct will be teaching, even if you have taught the course in the past. Their reason? No clue. The administration keeps back-peddling and waffling. Many of my fellow adjuncts are seriously considering quitting because of this.

Oh and of course I can't forget FW. Yesterday, he met with the Dean to discuss his plagiarizing his paper for my class. He admitted that he did it. Case closed, right? You know where this is going! He called today to say that he is going to fight the charge and he is going to bring an English teacher with him to prove that I don't know what I am doing.

If this is someone's idea of a joke, I am so not laughing.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's crap. Are they even able to do that under your contract? Under my adjunct contracts, I was nto even required to keep office hours, and not that I'm full-time, I'm only required to put in ten hours per week.

PS Hope all goes well with the fuckweed. (I forget what FW stands for, but fuckweed sounds good.)

Michelle

Subscribe