The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, August 21, 2006

Pandora's Box

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I don't know WHY I checked my school email today. What the hell was I thinking? Anyway, Ding Dong student sent me this:

how come I didn't pass your class?? You couldn't even bother to pass me a C. I am looking a few good teachers to help me get my dam Associate's degree and some of you teachers are against me doing that and trying to succeed in life. Is there a problem meeting pay Role cost this week or what? I figured I should of passed your class with some kind of grade better than an F. I had good grades on all of my quizes.

If I could, this would be my response.

Yep, it's my fault. It's my fault that you received an "F" on your research paper, which is worth 40% of your overall grade. It's my fault that you only completed 1/3 of the homework assignments, which were worth 10% of you grade. It is totally my fault that you did not submit your work on time. After all, I had the audacity to give you a deadline. I guess I have a lot of nerve to expect my students to earn a grade rather than give them a grade.

And yes, my mission in life is to make sure that you are not successful and that you remain living in the 'hood collecting a welfare check. Yes, I am totally in this for the money, since I only make 11% per hour of what I made as an attorney. After all, that is why I left a very lucrative private law practice, so that I could shatter the dreams of disadvantaged persons. And no, I have no clue about your plight, despite the fact that I too was the first person in my family to go to college and that I have dealt with racism and sexism all of my life. There is no way I can understand.

You are right. I don't want to help you, despite having office hours and sticking around campus just to make sure students don't need me. And I guess giving out two email address does not help either. And despite my better judgment, I showed you a website which outlined your research paper topic in full detail, something you should have found on your own. But, I just don't care...right?

You are right. You deserve so much more. I just wish I knew of someone who would be willing to give it to you.

Edited to add: I have not responded to the student yet, because I am too pised off and i might say something I may regret. I sent a copy of the email to the interim Dean of Instruction. Ironically, the student used a prior email correspondence in which I gave her suggestions for her project as a means to contact me. So, there is a trail of my attempts to help her. Husband thinks the student should be expelled for sending such an email. I think suspension would be more appropirate, since her remarks were out of line, rather than threatening. What do you all think?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

unbelievable.

jo(e) said...

Wow. I can't even imagine getting that kind of email.

Dr. Crazy said...

I've gotten a version of that email on a couple of occasions, and it sucks. Don't let the haters get you down on this - obviously this student has her/his (I don't remember if it was clear, but it's always been women students who've come at me this way) own set of issues, one of which being that he/she isn't capable of taking responsibility for the consequences to his/her actions. That and not having even barely passable writing skills in an email.

Do your best to put this from your mind and have a drink, I say.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap - I can't imagine getting that kind of email either. (I'm just lucky enough to have a different kind of student demographic at my school.) I do think that the student should be made to apologize, or at least told (by someone like the Dean) that such a message is completely inappropriate. Wow.

Anonymous said...

I've gotten versions of that in my math teacher past - one student told me that 45 was passing in CHEM class, so why wasn't 42 passing for Calc. Well, to start with, I wasn't teaching CHEM, and second, even using the Chem curve, 42 is still LESS THAN 45. And I refuse to pass your lame ass in Calc when you don't understand LESS THAN.

And I've really got this particular mania, but do these morons think they can say this crap to a BOSS? I just wish you guys had a portal where you could shove these students into the portal, they say this shit to some "alternate reality" boss, and get their ass handed to them. That would make some kick-ass "youtube"s

Unknown said...

It seems odd to me to suspend someone based on this. I think however remanding to therapy might be verrrrrrryyyyy helpful.

StyleyGeek said...

Wow. That is disrespectful and insulting. And not even a little bit proof-read. I'm not sure which of those is the worst crime.

BrightStar (B*) said...

This is really just awful. Clearly the student is upset, but completely inappropriate. You had a good idea when you forwarded the email on.

Alice said...

When I started teaching, my mentor teacher told me: "If you are good, there will always be some students who hate you. It means you are pushing them out of their comfort zones and, from time to time, you will succeed and make a difference in one of their lives."

Anonymous said...

Do you know, you've had some right nob head emails! I wouldn't dream of speaking to a lecturer like that. Poor you. I would have done something deeply regretful by now.

Anonymous said...

What a tantrum. What a child. What a waste of your time and energy.

Anonymous said...

I've gotten a few students who have had that response after they got the grade that came with not doing any work. It sucks. But, it isn't your fault, and it would be unfair to the student to pass them if they did not actually learn anything. If Ding Dong wants and Associate's Degree, then they need to do the work. The degree means nothing if they have not learned anything, and they will never succeed in life unless they learn how to succeed.

Subscribe