The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, July 14, 2006

I Have To Wear My Lawyer Hat

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Today, I have a pre-trial conference for the divorce that will not end. It's the only case that I have left from my private practice. It should have wrapped up a couple months ago, but alas, it has not. The sticking point, if you can call it that, is custody and visitation of the couple's child. Dad lives out-of-state. He wants the child to travel for visitation every other weekend. The child is 4 years old and Dad lives three states away. This guy is actually willing to go to trial over this issue. His lawyer is totally clueless and I don't think is versed in family law. No judge is going to order a four year old fly out of state for visitation. Well, I say if he wants to try the case, bring it on. Nothing like a good no-brainer to wrap up my trial lawyer career.

It is frustrating because my client wants this to end. She is sick of the crap. I want it to end because I can finally wrap up my practice. Gah!

So, I better get showered and put on my lawyer gear. It's going to be 90 degrees today and I have to wear a suit!


Update 1:16 PM EST: Case closed. We were able to settle and put the entire matter on the record. All that is left if for me to do is file the Findings of Fact and the Final Judgment.

Ok, now I can change into my play clothes. Yippee!

5 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

ah! This sounds like a disaster. I hope it gets wrapped up soon.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on wrapping up that chapter of your life so successfully!

By the way, did the timing of this settlement work out ok? I'm not sure if it was you or not, although I can't imagine who else it might have been, but I remember reading that there was an issue about renewing a license or something if a final case didn't get wrapped up before the renewal date which was looming. But I skimmed through some of the recent posts real quick and didn't spot anything, so I very easily could be mistaken. If not, though, hope it's all good! :)

Rebecca

Seeking Solace said...

Rebecca: It was the renewal of my malpractice insurance. My insurance agent was able to set me up on a month to month basis.

Peri: I am keeping my status active with OCA, just in case. So, I guess I have to keep up with the biannual CLE. At least I can get the stuff on tape.

sunnyacre said...

Congrats! Time to go and close up shop :o) -- think you'll ever miss it?

Rebecca said...

Glad everything is cool. Good for you!

OK, Shelly, I started a blog. Not making any promises, though, either about how interesting it'll be or how long it'll last. :)

Subscribe