The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Saga Continues

Posted by Seeking Solace |

My Critical Thinking student will be meeting with me and the DI tomorrow to discuss her paper. I honestly believe that she had someone write the paper for her. I double checked with the tutoring center. They have no record of assisting her with the paper. I also spoke to her Composition instructor who stated that he did not help her either. So, my guess is that someone helped her just a little too much.

I had a similar situation two summers ago. I had a student in my Survey of Law class write a paper for one of his friends who was also in the class. The problem was the he wrote the paper using the same writing style that he uses for his own work. Needless to say, both students were busted for academic dishonesty and received an “F” for the assignment.

The DI asked me to decide what the punishment should be for this student. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t that HER job? Anyway, I am going to give the student an “F” for the paper. She will fail my class, not because of that “F”, but because she did not turn in her research project which is worth 100 points.

The other problem with the ¼ paper is solved also, but not the way I would like it to be solved. I am required to grade her according to the rubric that the college provides for the course. This means that she gets points for only doing ¼ of the work. I am not allowed to reduce her grade. WTF is up with that?? At least the little work she provided was so crappy that she got an “F”.

But it chaps my ass to think that a student can pass an assignment and only do ¼ the work. That makes no sense to me. Someone had posted a comment that an employer would not accept ¼ work from an employee, so why should it be any different for students? I even tell my students that if they are going to do something, don’t do it half –assed. They should use their whole ass!

I asked the director of the General Education program if such a thing was just an oversight. He said that the standard was correct because they want to have some consistency... Constancy of what…crappy work passed off as acceptable? What the hell are we teaching these students? I then asked him why doesn’t the rubric have a category for incomplete assignments or assignments that were not submitted and have zero points attached? He said that he would bring it to the attention to the DI.

And they are just figuring this out now???

7 comments:

Pink Cupcake said...

OMG, I just can't believe the situation about the 1/4 paper. That's just insane!

sheepish said...

At least the person is getting a crappy grade like they deserve. I'm not sure that I understand why you can't assign points as you like, especially for situations not specifically covered in your syllabus, so long as your scheme is reasonable. Maybe has something to do with the structure of your program?

Seeking Solace said...

Sheepish: My college has consistency standards for the Gen Ed courses, including rubrics for grading. They allow us to teach what we want, so long as it meets the standards.

It is getting more restrictive because now they are telling us what kind of projects we can give!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the dean asked you what you wanted to do with the plagiarism case. Don't you have a college policy/procedure for such things?

Seeking Solace said...

We do, but my Dean does not have much of a backbone when it comes to these things.

Anonymous said...

The best you can do with all this BS is keep the shores of Aruba in mind when you deal with these yahoos.

Seeking Solace said...

Shelly: DI is the Dean of Instruction, who is also my boss.

Subscribe