The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, April 17, 2006

Frustration

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Remember my Critical thinking students who do not speak or write English very well? I read their essays and research papers over the weekend. It appears that neither one wrote the papers.

I told them to seek assistance with the tutoring center with their wring. I am not sure if they did go, because I do not have any memos from the tutoring center indicating that they were there. I plan to stop by this morning to check their records. But at any rate, the essays read way too well for someone that has trouble with English. I spoke to on of my colleague who has one of the girls in her Composition and Research class. She agreed that based on her assessment of the student’s work, she does not believe that the student wrote the paper.

Assuming that I am right, it is sad that a student would go to such lengths to pass a class. All I can do is confront the students and ask them.

Until then…

4 comments:

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

I HATE dealing with plagiarism. I get mad twice: 1) do they really think that I'm that stupid? and 2) how dare they put me in such an uncomfortable position. I hate confronting people. And it makes me sad too.

BrightStar (B*) said...

oh no... more work for you. :(

Ianqui said...

Yikes. Let us know how it goes.

(I'm wondering if anyone in that position would actually dare to claim that they had in fact written the papers. And if they do? What do you do then?)

Anonymous said...

My students usually aren't very sophisticated with plagiarism. They just cut and past from the web. So, I do a google search on what seems to be a unique phrase, and about half the time one of the links that pops up is their paper! I print out the first page, staple it to the paper, and turn it back to them so that they know that I have proof of what they did to explain the zero. Once I had a student come to me saying that the page I stapled to her paper wasn't the one that she copied from. Apparently, she had plagiarized from a web page that had plagiarized from another web page.

Subscribe