The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, March 10, 2006

No Spring Break

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Many of my blog friends are excited with the advent of Spring Break. Sadly, I will not be joining you in the happy dance as you blissfully enjoy a week without the usual insanity. My college does not have a Spring Break. I don’t know why this is the case. My college runs on a tri-mester system. So, this semester ends at the end of April. The nest semester runs from the beginning of May until the beginning of August. Then we have a month off before the fall term starts. So I guess I will live vicariously through all my blog-mates!

I had to laugh at the Today show yesterday when Katie did a story advising parents about the excess drinking and sex that occurs during Spring Break. The story stated that parents should be aware that their child could be engaging in such activities. HELLO, THAT SHIT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR YEARS…THAT’S NOTHING NEW!!!!!!

When I was in college, I did not go anywhere for Spring Break. I was always broke and there was no way that I would ask my parents for money to go to Daytona or Cancun for a week. A question like that would be met with a stare that would translate to “Are you out of your fucking mind?” Usually, I spent my break working to pay for school or working on projects that would be due. Even during my grad school and law school days, I spent my Spring Break working. Of course, during that time, I was married and REALLY broke.

So, I never had the chance to enjoy this thing called Spring Break. Am I missing anything?

8 comments:

sheepish said...

I had a couple of good getaways, but debauching is overrated. I mean, I assume it is. Mine were always big group road trips, so the cost was fairly minimal (but still nonzero).

I'm on a trimester too, and I had two days of "reading break" instead of spring break. We had a department meeting on Day #1. But still, first week of April = last week of classes!

sunnyacre said...

Spring break never felt like spring for me...mainly because whoever came up with my college/law school's calendar system decided to put spring break in the beginning of March. So, most of the time, we still had snow on the ground...I guess I could've gone away, but no one ever had the funds to go (including myself)!

I guess the closest experience I had to the popular spring break experiences was last year, when I was able to get away during the winter (a first for me, since we always take our vacations during the summer). We took a cruise, and I remember one of the excursions was a "Tequila boat", an all day boat ride with unlimited tequila. We didn't do that one (since we had Little Girl), but we were on the beach when the boat docked. You should've seen the people!!! I probably would've done that back in my college days...but now, I couldn't even imagine how sick I'd be (drunk WITH sealegs)!!!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I'm sorry you are breakless -- I'm not sure how the trimester thing works for you.. but for some schools up here it seems that they have a longer winter break than we do.

If it is any solace, I spent 3 of my "break" days working, one cleaning and one doing errands and having lunch with a friend.

Maybe you need to schedule your own breaks in the semester --- a week or so when you're sure you'll have grading done and no new stuff due and in class you are doing already prepared materials. Finally, refuse to do any extra meetings or research work -- just come in to teach and do office hours then leave... your own personal break :).

UltimateWriter said...

Well, you can take a fall break instead.

BrightStar (B*) said...

Isn't your trip to Aruba spring break - ish?

I'm not a raging partier, so my spring break trips were like... road trip with a girlfriend to Disneyland. Oh, well, once a group of 7 of us rented a condo in a small beach town in Mexico, but it wasn't wild drunken craziness.

Seeking Solace said...

B*: I guess you could say that my Aruba vacation is sort of a break. But I get back on a Saturday which means I only have Sunday to recover before the next semester begins!

BrightStar (B*) said...

BUT YOU ARE GOING TO ARUBA!!! :)

Seeking Solace said...

OK, OK...you are right! Now, don't you have a Boyfriend to see????

Subscribe