The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, March 03, 2006

Hair Today

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Today I am getting my hair done. This a big production because I have my naturally curly hair chemically straightened. I can hear all those with straight hair screaming “Why in the hell would you do such a thing!” “I spend X dollars to get my hair to do what your does naturally!”

Well, let me explain. I have shoulder length, thick and VERY curly hair. In the summer, I have to put a ton of leave in conditioner so I will not look like Buckwheat or a poodle. My hair is so thick that it tangles easily and it can be painful to comb. Plus, it took years to find a hairstylist who can handle cutting my hair. Naturally curly hair is very difficult to cut if one is not familiar with the way the hair grows. So many stylists end up butchering the cut.

So last year, I decided to give chemical straightening a try. I had blown my hair out with a round brush in the past. But that processes takes a long time, and let’s face it, I am too lazy to go through that process every day. The process only takes about an hour at the salon. My hair stayed straight for about six months before it started to kink up again. I love the way my hair looks and feels after it is done.

I guess no one is really satisfied with what they have. But isn’t great that we see if the grass is greener?

Update: After 1.5 hours in the salon chair, my hair is bone straight. . I can't wash my hair for 48 hours!

Sorry, no photos…I need to purchase a digital camera. I am planning to buy one before I go to Aruba!

Since a couple of people have asked, my stylist uses Redken Vertical Curl Reducer-Sensitive. No thermal conditioning.

14 comments:

Addy N. said...

Hey Seeking Solace:
Have fun at the salon. Do you do the thermal reconditioning? My mom has that done now, after years of fighting with hot rollers, curling irons, curling brushes, etc. to keep it from frizzing. My daughter is biracial and our hair stylist straightens it with a flat iron when she cuts it. She loves to have her hair striaght, so I don't have hurt her head when I comb it out (she's only 6). When she gets older, she might do some more permanent straightening. Take care!

Seeking Solace said...

Hey! I am biracial too!

My stylist uses a straightening product from RUSK. He combs it in and then leaves in for about 30 minutes or until I can’t take the tingling anymore. Then he uses a flat iron to touch it up. It’s like silk when it’s done!

Addy N. said...

Oh- that's funny! So you know what kind of hair my daughter has! She had it straightened for the first time in December and thought is was so weird for her hair to hang down! It was so soft, too. She also likes having hair "like Mommy's".

When it isn't straight we keep it up in pig tails, pony tail, or braids. I always wonder how she'll wear it when she grows up.

sheepish said...

So can we expect some haircut photoblogging?

Alexandra said...

Hey Seeking Solace;

I just found your blog! Can I ask if you are doing thermal reconditioning, or just a regular relaxer? Is thermal something you'd consider?

missscarlet

Seeking Solace said...

Adenostoma : When I was your daughter’s age, I always wore my hair short because I would cry every time my mom would try to comb or brush it. It wasn’t until my 20’s that I began to wear it long.
Sheepish: Sorry, no photoblog. I SOOOO need to buy a digital camera. I am thinking about buying one for my Aruba vacation!
Missscarlet: Thanks for stopping by!!! My stylist uses a regular relaxer. This time he used one from Redkin, called Vertical Sensitive. It took about 1.5 hours for the entire process. I can’t wash my hair for 48 hours. Thank God it’s the weekend!!!

sheepish said...

Oh, the old "I don't have a camera" line. Well that's bloody convenient.

Seeking Solace said...

Sheepish: Would I lie to you?????

sheepish said...

I'm not sure. Would you? WOULD YOU?!?

Seeking Solace said...

Oh Sheepish...I would never do that!

Anonymous said...

I have a salon/stylist I love. Its all about finding a way you like it - who cares how you get there.

And I always find it so relaxing to have it done too!

Anonymous said...

PS - for sheepish -

Although I anm hopeful you know this, SS wouldn't lie. Cirtcumstances where others might lie, she's much more comfortable with verbal anihilation. Do you NOT read this blog (especially student interaction)? :)

Kiss My Mike said...

We should totally exchange hairstylist trade secrets. I need to have my hair done. Haha!

Anonymous said...

how much was that???
I have thick, curly hair and i hate straigtning it everyday

Subscribe