The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Teaching Momnet

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Once again, I am in GML’s class. They are working in the computer lab on an assignment, so I get to play on the web. Woohoo!

I had a great teaching moment today. One of my students recently sent me her essay via email. But instead of sending the essay as an attachment, she wrote the entire essay as an email message. When I returned her paper, I told her that I took off points because of the format of the paper. She began to cry, saying that she did not know how to do attachments.

So, I took her to one of the empty computer labs and showed her how to send an attachment. We walked through the process, step by step. I had her resend her essay to me. The whole process took about 10 minutes. When she saw how simple it was, she was ecstatic. I told her that I would re-grade the essay. She later sent me an email with an attachment. It was a note thanking me for helping her.

I love moments like that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are the moments that make it worthwhile. I could see myself overcomplicating something like that at that age (I was less-than-computer literate as an undergrad), so that was cool of you to help her!!!

sheepish said...

That's a really cute story.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Good for you for taking the time to help her.

Sometimes we assume they have a level of technical sophistication that they simply do not have. They need to learn that wherever they are.

She'll remember you every time she sends an attachment.

Subscribe