The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Some Great Reward

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I thought I would blog about my fitness challenge. Like Dr. Crazy and Profgrrrl, I am in the quest to lose weight and get fit. I have a history of starting off well, but either, work, stress or the RA causes me to stop. It also does not help that when I suffer a serious RA flare, I have to take steroids which help pack on the pounds.

Back in January, I made a serous commitment. I would start slow, knowing that the joints would rebel at the first twinge of serous impact. I resigned to work out two days a week. Then, it became three. Now I am up to four days with no serious flare issues. It also helps that the winter has been warmer than normal in Lake Effect Snow Central. Cold makes the joints VERY unhappy.

On Mondays and Wednesdays, I work out with GML and LB at the fitness center in our building. We look forward to getting together and encouraging each other. It’s great to have that support from people who have the same goals. Plus, we get to dish about the latest school gossip or bitch about our students!

I don’t like to weigh myself. I tend to get frustrated easily. So, I like to measure my progress by how my clothes fit. But yesterday, I decided to bite the bullet and look. I lost eight pounds since January 1st. My clothiers are looser. I have more energy.

So, I decided to give myself a little reward. I went out last night a purchase an Ipod Nano. Using my portable CD player is a little awkward on some of the equipment. I can’t wait to try it out on my next workout.

I think that it is important to reward yourself for a job well done. Instead of focusing on what you have yet to accomplish, why not celebrate and embrace what you HAVE accomplished. It makes reaching the goal more fun.

1 comments:

sheepish said...

That's awesome! Keep it up. Are some activities better for the RA than others? I would naively think that swimming would be good for it, but I wouldn't really know.

Subscribe