The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Good Is Good

Posted by Seeking Solace |

The semester is going well so far. My classes are small. The most I have is 18 in my Critical Thinking course. The Survey of Law course started with 13, but I am down to 8. I think I scared some of them. I am also teaching a new course, Employment Law, which has 13 students. The students appear very nice and engaging. They enjoyed discussing the subjects that I bring to class. No disrespect or discipline problems yet. So, I should be jumping for joy, righ?. But, I am very guarded. I am just afraid that the other shoe is going to drop at any moment and I will end up with a class of psychos. Time will tell, I guess.

The student who plagiarized in my Critical Thinking course last semester is in my class again. Usually, it does not bother me to see a student who failed my class take my class again, even when they have the choice of another instructor. But seeing this girl again really bugs me. I don’t know how to react to her being in my class again. One reason is because of how much time and effort I put in to helping her with her research paper, only for her to change her topic at the last minute and commit plagiarism. The other reason is that she has been going around campus complaining that she still does not understand why she failed the course and that I am being unfair. I had a meeting with her and the Dean about the situation and explained to her why she failed. Since she received an F for the paper, and she was carrying a low C on her other assignments, that’s how the math worked out. (We do not give D’s at my college). Part of me wants to say something to her, but there is a part of me that thinks that no matter what I say, she will still be unhappy.

On a personal note, the workout regiment is going very well. GML, the Accounting Lady and I work out together twice a week. That really keeps me motivated. I also work out at home. I have a really awesome treadmill. I have put together a playlist that I use for the treadmill and the elliptical. It’s about 45 minutes long. So, following Dr. Crazy, here it is:

1. Dirty Laundry, Lisa Marie Presley
2. Delicious Surprise, Beth Hart
3. Adam’s Rib, Melanie Doane
4. Bring Me Some Water, Melissa Etherige
5. Would I Lie to You? Eurhythmics
6. Edge of Seventeen, Stevie Nicks
7. Stupid Girl, Garbage
8. Our Lips Are Sealed, Go-Gos
9. Light in Your Eyes, Sheryl Crow
10. Constant Craving, k.d. lang
11. Nick of Time, Bonnie Raitt

I also posted it on the sidebar under the heading “What’s Playing in My Head. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Ursula said...

Oh, the plagiarizer knows full well why she got the low grade, but hasn't yet reached the stage of wanting to face just what she did and how wrong it was--and certainly she isn't ready to shame herself in front of her pals! Sorry you have to deal with her again. And I'd send her next paper through turnitin.com before I read so much as the title!

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks for the tip! I will do that!

Anonymous said...

Cool mix - I may have to track down some of the tracks I never heard of...

Subscribe