The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Clouds and Shopping

Posted by Seeking Solace |




Thanks to B* for cloud link!

Today is one of those days where I know I should do work. But I don't feel like it. I am still in my PJs, drinking coffee and reading blogs. I need to work on my research assignments that I plan to give to my students.

Husband wants to finish painting the office. This was a project that we started last summer, but never finished. All that needs to be done is to paint the ceiling and the trim. But that means I will be sans computer, which is maybe a good thing.

I could go shopping; Next week is the sales tax holiday in my state. This means that there is no state or local sales tax on clothing or shoes up to $110.00. The sales tax in Lake Effect Snow Central is 8.75% on EVERYTHING! God, I miss Home state where there was NO sales tax on clothing or shoes, period. I could use today as sort of a pre-shopping event. But can I resist the temptation not to buy anything??????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We pay 8.25% sales tax. At least it doesn't apply to medication or many groceries. There is a complex formula as to what groceries count or don't. Potato chips are exempt, but not soft drinks. Cookie batter is exempt, but not cookies. Gum is exempt, but not candy. Get the picture?

We get a three day sales tax holiday the first weekend in August. It is supposed to be for parents to outfit kids for school, but applies to all other people, too. Clothing and shoes under $100 are exempt from sales tax, with some exceptions (Again a formula that makes western boots and running shoes tax exempt, but not golf shoes or football jerseys. Belts and socks are exempt, but not ties or gloves.).

Kiss My Mike said...

Shopping rules! There's no doubt about it, but the sales tax sucks.

Subscribe