The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, January 16, 2006

The Boy

Posted by Seeking Solace |

B* asked me to blog about the Boy, so I thought I would tell the story of how Husband and I adopted the Boy.

A month prior to adopting the Boy, our previous dog,
a Catahoula Leopard Dog (click to see what one looks like) died after a noble battle with cancer. We missed having a four legged friend in our lives, and felt the time was right to bring a new friend home.

A local rescue group was holding an adoption day at PETCO. Three were several dogs there, and although all were absolutely adorable, there did not seem to be a connection. Husband saw the Boy first. In a crate, away from the other dogs and barking like crazy, was a young male German Shepard-Lab mix. Husband said “hey, how about this one? He seems like a nice pup.” I came over and looked at his sweet face and big brown eyes and just melted. I read his bio. He was a year old and had been surrendered by his previous owner because his owner felt the dog was no longer cute. It was the classic case of people adopting a puppy because it is cute. But when puppies grow up into dogs, the cute poppy like behavior is no longer cute. So instead of training the dog, these people decided to just give him away.

The rescue coordinator allowed us to take him out on his leash to see if he would respond to us. Well, the Boy would not stop barking at the other dogs. He was more interested in barking than us. The coordinator said that he was the runt of the litter. He was soon adopted by a family that had five small children under the age of six. Sadly, the children were very mean to him. The coordinator went on to say that he was not properly socialized or trained. On the other hand, he is a sweetheart when he is calm. He loves to snuggle and give kisses. She said that he would be ideal for a single person or a couple without children. She said that he needs someone to give him the attention he deserves.

It took almost an hour for the Boy to settle down and interact with us. I could not stop thinking about what the coordinator had said. How could someone treat such a sweet pup like this? I was convinced that I wanted this dog. I knew that if I worked with him, he would become a great dog. Husband was not so sure. He asked me if I wanted to wait a few days to think about it. He thought that the Boy was a nice dog, but he was a little nuts. I told Husband that there was nothing to think about. I wanted to take the Boy home.

So, we adopted the Boy that same day. He seemed happy that he was going home with what he perceived to be nice people. When we brought him home, he came in the house, walked over to the stereo speaker and peed on it! I guess that was his way of saying that he was home.

I immediately enrolled the Boy in basic obedience. I am a firm believer that the best thing that one can do for their dog is proper obedience training. I was amazed on how well the Boy did in obedience training. He definitely has the German Shepard intelligence. He was the top dog in his class. I decided to enroll him in the advance class and he did well there too. Since then, we have been taking dog agility courses. I am hoping that we can begin competing soon.

The Boy has given us so much joy. He is all Lab in the sense that he is sweet and playful. I call him the lovable mush. He is wonderful with children, despite his prior history. I think the training helped. He had the German Shepard intelligence and loyalty. Sometimes he is too smart for his own good! He loves to rough-house with his daddy. And he loves to snuggle with his mommy!

So that’s how the Boy came into my family. I can’t image life without him!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story! I don't know how people treat animals that way, either. When we get a dog (sometime in the future), I'm all about the shelter dogs.

Will we get a pic of the Boy in future? :-)

Seeking Solace said...

New Kid: I should post a picture, but I do not own a digital camera! I should buy one!

APL: I often tell people that the Boy is my child! He is like an 18 month old.

BrightStar (B*) said...

how great! thanks for fulfilling my request. it sounds like you, your husband, and the boy are lucky to have one another.

UltimateWriter said...

sounds great...so how old is the Boy now?

Seeking Solace said...

The Boy is 5 1/2 now. He will be 6 years old in August. He is still full of energy, especially when it comes to chasing squirrels.

Anonymous said...

Pets can be such a wonderful source of love and companionship.

My previous cat was rescued from when someone tried to hang him. He had not been well treated, even, prior to that. Nonetheless, he immediately recognized that he was now in a loving environment and turned into the most affectionate and loyal companion that anyone could ever want. I still miss him. He died suddenly of a heart attack a few years back. I was awfully broken up. The neighborhood kids heard that my cat had died, and so about six months later they came by with a kitten from a stray cat in the neighborhood that had had kittens. He has been a great cat, too.

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet story. My cats have tended to be rescues and are sweethearts. And my mom's dog, we believe from how he ended up reacting to feet and shoes the first couple years, was kicked. It took so long for the poor honey to get over it. I tend to want to see the book thrown at pet abusers for stuff like that, but it always makes me happy when such a pet can be finally given the love they deserved all along.

BTW - a Xmas read for me has been MARLEY AND ME by John Grogan - a very heartwarming doggy story. It was an incredible book.

Subscribe