The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Looking To The Sky To Save Me

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I have three outstanding resumes for faculty positions and I have not heard a peep out of any of them. I guess I could send and email or make a phone call, but my guess is that if they really wanted me, they would have contacted me. Of course, there is the chance that the decision is on hold, for whatever reason. But, my gut tells me otherwise.

For a while, it would really bother me that I would not get a response, only to find the "FU" letter in the mail with the classic "Your qualifications were excellent, but..". I would obsessively check all leads for a job either in Lake Effect Snow Central or elsewhere, imposing this "I need to have a job by the Fall semester" deadline on myself. But right now, my obsession with the job search has become a mere curiosity as what is out there.

Truth is, I am liking my employment hiatus. I know I was climbing the walls in the beginning, even wrote a few posts about it. Maybe it's the nice weather or that I have found things to occupy my time that have made this period enjoyable. It's also allowed me to think about who is Seeking Solace, beyond the girl with multiple degrees, attorney, academic, business owner, wife, daughter, sister, friend and dog mom. I never thought I would have accomplished so much before the age of 40 that now I am looking to the sky and saying "Now what?" Will I find another job as an academic? Who knows. Will I go back to practicing law? No, definitely not. Something else in the law field? Maybe...I am participating in a mediation training seminar at the end of the month.

Honestly, I don't know where I am going, but I am OK with it for now. Ask me again in October.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you feeling good about your hiatus! It sounds like you've gotten into a groove where you are no longer climbing the walls, so by all means- enjoy it! I hope the summer isn't too nasty and humid!

Subscribe